Sunday, July 02, 2006

Israel and US Excercise Same Rights?

The behaviors of the United States and Israel are remarkably similar in terms of taking latitude with the sovereign rights of other countries. This most recent incursion into Gaza and detention of legitimately elected representatives of the Palestinian government expresses this disregard in familiar, if dramatic, terms.

It is no accident that a broadly held perception in the Middle East is that the invasion of Iraq is linked to our lockstep commitment to Israel in the region. The similarities in our approaches, to respond to every challenge with an asymmetrically harsh and mostly irrelevant military assault are plain. Their ultimate futility is equally, and pathetically, evident.

Bullying takes so many forms in this world—all ugly and avoidable. These forms are also lethal and patently illegal, as well.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw your sign as I drove by today. I was listening to the radio and thinking that Israel in Gaza and the US in Iraq are both going down the same unfortunate path.

I admire your courage in posting your sign over the years. Keep it up.

milt
milton@glowcode.com

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While it's safe to say that I don't agree with a great deal of your stance, in general, I do admire your persistance, particularly in the face of the moronic vandalism. Good luck. I'd rather people cared than agreed with me.

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home